Carmelite Church - Dublin

Banner 

 Life Dates
  Visitors 
  Museum 
  Special People 
  Mother Mary 
  St. Mary's 
  Volunteer 
  Buy a Book 
  Museum Shop 
  Find Us 
  Our Future 
  Our Beginnings 
  Photo Gallery 
  Links 
  Testimonies 
  Calendar 
  Quotes 
  Insp. Message 
  Contact Us 
  Home 

 

Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church -- Dublin, Ireland

The Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church is a Roman Catholic Church in Dublin, Ireland maintained by the Carmelite order. The church is noted for having the relics of Saint Valentine, which were donated to the church in the 19th century by Pope Gregory XVI from their previous location in the cemetery of St. Hippolytus in Rome.

The church is on the site of a pre-Reformation Carmelite priory built in 1539. The current structure dates from 1825 and was designed by George Papworth, who also designed St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral in Dublin. It was extended and enlarged in 1856 and 1868.

The church also contains relics of St. Albert, a Sicilian who died in 1306. On his feast day (August 7), a relic of the saint is dipped into the water of St. Albert's Well and is said to grant healing of body and mind those who use the water.

The church also contains a life-size oak figure of Our Lady of Dublin

Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church
Interior of Whitefriar Street Church

 

Life Dates | Visitors | Museum | Special People | Holy Mother Mary
St. Mary's ChurchBecome a Volunteer | Buy a Book | Museum Shop
How to Find Us | Our Future | Our Beginnings | Photo Gallery | Links | Personal Testimonies
Calendar of Events | Bishop Sheen Quotes | Inspirational Messages | Contact Us | Home